In-store mobile device usage has increased 25 percent since 2012.
JiWire, the leading location-powered mobile advertising and data platform, released its Mobile Audience Insights Report today. Published quarterly since 2009, the Q2 Insights Report examines how mobile is transforming consumer behavior, specifically while shopping and doing pre-purchase research on mobile devices and also analyzes interesting patterns of cross-device usage.
Key report insights include:
- 42% of consumers prefer to research retail products on smartphones and tablets rather than laptops, while 45% prefer to purchase in-store
- Consumer engagement with retail advertisements increases 42% within a two mile radius of the store’s location compared to advertisements inside the store
- Out of all the commercial venues where people use their mobile devices, retail stores are the most common with 31% of all mobile usage
- For the first time, smartphones replace laptops as the top device for connecting to public Wi-Fi
“Mobile has become a fundamental aspect of the retail shopping experience,” said David Staas, President of JiWire. “Consumers are turning to these devices throughout the path to purchase, from researching to purchasing to sharing, both before shopping and while in-store. Leveraging these trends will be a critical marketing aspect for both retail brands and product companies to drive sales this holiday season.”
How People Use Mobile Devices for Retail-Related Research and Purchasing
Multi-device usage is quickly becoming the norm as people alternate between their laptops, smartphones and tablets for various computing activities. Within the retail vertical, these behaviors are shifting purchase patterns with respect to in-store versus on a device, changing the way consumers research, purchase, and share across all mediums—something that is key for retail brands to understand. JiWire’s research demonstrates:
- Consumers who research on tablets and laptops buy on the respective device rather than in-store
- Smartphone researchers purchase equally as often from their device as they do in-store
- Showrooming is still a risk for retailers as 37% of consumers report purchasing on a smartphone or tablet after researching in-store
In-Store Mobile Usage Behavior
Consumers are increasingly using their mobile devices to research items within the retail vertical prior to arrival at a store. However, once inside the store, mobile device usage has continued to increase, showing that the retail shopping experience is being changed throughout the path to purchase.
- 80% of shoppers use their mobile device in-store to enhance their shopping experience, a 25% increase since 2012
- 39% of consumers use their mobile device while in-store to search for product reviews, while 35% of shoppers search for coupons
- The number of consumers who purchase from their mobile device rather than in-store has increased 92% since the first quarter of 2012
Consumers’ Response Soars With Nearby Advertisements
A consumer’s proximity to a retail store affects the advertisement’s performance, but these results vary significantly by industry. In addition, performance of ads delivered in-store versus near-store show surprising variances, providing key learnings for advertisers. JiWire’s Q2 Insights report unveiled:
- Consumer engagement with retail advertisements increases 42% within a two mile radius of the store compared to engagement with mobile advertisements delivered in-store
- For CPG and retail venues, consumers are most likely to engage and respond to the ad when they are within a short driving distance from the location
Mobile Location and Public Wi-Fi trends
Mobile devices usage continues to grow within the public Wi-Fi environment. For the first time in history, smartphones have surpassed laptops as the primary Wi-Fi device, representing 40% of all connections compared to 36% for laptops. Other highlights include:
- Smartphones and tablets increased from 52% to 64% of total Wi-Fi connections year over year, a 23% lift
- The Samsung Galaxy S III is among the top three most popular Wi-Fi mobile devices, above the iPod Touch for the first time in history, with over a 21% increase in market share
About JiWire’s Mobile Audience Insights Report
JiWire’s Mobile Audience Insights Report highlights recent mobile audience usage trends offering advertisers insights that could be applied to their mobile strategies and campaigns. This quarter focused on the retail market. Research is based on data compiled from multiple proprietary sources; a survey of more than 1,300 randomly selected customers from across JiWire’s combined Wi-Fi and mobile advertising platform. The report is based on data collected from April-June 2013. Quarterly public Wi-Fi location rankings and business model distributions are based on the final day of the quarter.
JiWire is the leading location-powered mobile advertising and data platform. Leveraging proprietary historical and present location data, JiWire enables advertisers to effectively engage their desired audience across all mobile devices at scale.
Built with the belief that audiences are defined by location, meaning where you go is the best indicator of who you are and thus an excellent indicator of intent, the company’s mobile audience platform- Location Graph™- is an innovative, proven approach to mobile advertising delivering custom audiences with 4x higher performance and greater efficiency over traditional mobile targeting or geofencing approaches.
JiWire was recently selected as a Red Herring Top 100 North America finalist and awarded the 2013 AlwaysOn Global 250 and Frost & Sullivan’s prestigious 2012 Best New Product Innovation Award for Mobile Advertising, while referenced as “One of the most accurate audience segment & profiling data sets in the industry.” JiWire has been an innovative leader in evolving mobile advertising and delivering mobile audiences since 2003. Its data platform creates unique audience profiles from over 14 billion location tags from over 700 million devices including smartphones, tablets & laptops.