Eighty-five percent of on-the-go shoppers use their mobile device while in-store.
JiWire, the leading mobile location advertising company, announced its Q3 Mobile Audience Insights Report today. This quarter’s report examines consumers’ increased comfort of purchasing on their mobile devices, which will be key this holiday season, along with the continued growth in free Wi-Fi and tablet adoption. Key findings include:
- Mobile shopping and purchases: 85% of on-the-go shoppers use their mobile device while in-store and 66% are willing to spend at least $50 when making a purchase from their mobile device.
- Free Wi-Fi adoption: 81.3% of public Wi-Fi is from free hotspots in the US, a 19% increase from last quarter.
- Hispanic mobile usage: Hispanics are 36% more likely to engage on their mobile device while in-store than the general population.
- Device ownership: 65% of smartphone owners also own a tablet.
Mobile Shopping Trends:
With the 2012 holiday shopping season approaching, JiWire’s Q3 Insights Report uncovered trends in how mobile devices will impact consumer’s shopping and purchasing this year. Not only are more people shopping, purchasing, and making larger purchases with their mobile device, the “show rooming” effect of comparison shopping on a mobile device while in-store has increased, specifically:
- People purchasing on their device while in-store rose 27% compared to last year.
- 66% of consumers are willing to spend $50 or more when purchasing from their mobile device.
- This compares to 53% in Q3 of 2011, which is an increase of 25% year over year.
- 86% of consumers are more comfortable making purchases from their mobile device, up 26% from 2011.
Free Wi-Fi usage rapidly increases:
Constant connectivity is vital to on-the-go consumers and it’s apparent in the way they are connecting. Free Wi-Fi connectivity by consumers continues to grow and dominate the U.S. market, while simultaneously attracting more smartphone and tablet owners to connect:
- Free Wi-Fi continues to grow, with 81.3% of Wi-Fi hotspots being free, a 19% increase from last quarter.
- 56% of all public Wi-Fi usage was represented by smartphones (40%) and tablets (16%).
Trends in Hispanic Mobile Usage:
This quarter, JiWire tapped into a new, unexplored area of mobile usage by Hispanics, who are increasingly becoming a mobile-savvy audience. Interesting data points about the mobile habits of Hispanics include:
- Hispanics are 36% more likely to engage on their mobile device while shopping in-store than the general audience.
- 52% of Hispanics comparison shop on their mobile devices while in-store, compared with 39% of the general audience.
- Hispanics are 83% more likely to search for product information or share shopping updates than the general audience.
“Smartphones and tablets are becoming mainstream personal shopping devices, making it even more important for marketers to understand their mobile audience,” said David Staas, interim CEO at JiWire. “For example, Hispanics are very mobile-savvy and much more likely to comparison shop on their mobile device than the general population. How people use these devices has always been important, but understanding where people engage and how different audiences engage is equally important for marketers to be successful in mobile.”
Device Ownership & Tablet Adoption:
JiWire’s Q3 Insights Report also discovered that tablet adoption is rapidly increasing, with 65% of on-the-go consumers who own a smartphone also owning a tablet. Other findings include:
- 44% of non-laptop Wi-Fi connections at universities come from tablets while 39% of non-laptop Wi-Fi connections at hotels come from tablets.
- Also, tablets represent about 20% of Wi-Fi connections within malls, libraries and cafes.
- 68% of tablet owners use their devices for travel information, 56% for entertainment, and 52% for shopping and retail.
About JiWire’s Mobile Audience Insights Report
JiWire’s Mobile Audience Insights Report is based on data from approximately 315,000 public Wi-Fi locations. JiWire serves advertisements to over 30,000 public Wi-Fi locations in North America and records data from every ad request. The report surveyed nearly 1,400 U.S. customers randomly selected across JiWire’s Wi-Fi Media Channel from July 2012 to September 2012. Quarterly public Wi-Fi location rankings and business model distributions are based on the final day of the quarter.
JiWire is the leader in connecting advertisers to today’s on-the-go mobile audience, using the world’s largest location-based interactive media channel. JiWire’s platform enables advertisers to identify and deliver ads to audience segments based on a person’s physical location while taking the venue type and brand into account. The network enables advertisers to reach 50 million unique users each month and deliver ads in and around a person’s physical location. JiWire’s network targets audiences on mobile phones, tablets and laptops through its public Wi-Fi channel and in-apps ads delivering locally-relevant ad campaigns for Fortune 250 companies who want to ‘locationize’ their brands at significant scale across North America.