Mobile Integral in Reaching Consumers, Influencing Buying Decisions; Increased In-Store Foot Traffic Directly Linked to Mobile Ads
JiWire, the leading location-powered mobile advertising and data platform, today released its quarterly “Mobile Audience Insights Report.” This quarter’s report focuses on the consumer packaged goods (CPG) industry and examines how mobile is reshaping and influencing the mobile path to purchase. When leveraging the digital world to enhance the grocery shopping experience, from creating shopping lists to making purchase decisions in-store, smartphones are consumers’ device of choice.
For the first time, this quarter’s report also benchmarks the effectiveness of mobile advertising in driving consumers to a retail location. The report examined all Q3 2013 drive-to-location campaigns across the JiWire network and measured incremental store visits by consumers as a result of seeing a mobile campaign. On average, mobile advertising campaigns drove a 44 percent increase in in-store foot traffic over regular store visits in Q3, providing concrete ROI measurement for advertisers.
Additional key findings from the report showed:
- Sixty percent of consumers use their smartphone to create their shopping list, almost three times higher than tablets or laptops.
- Sixty-five percent of consumers add products to their shopping lists after seeing a mobile ad.
- Sixy-nine percent of consumers want to enhance their in-store shopping experience by receiving information (such as sales, coupons and recipes) from the retailer on their mobile device.
Mobile Device Use Drives Transformation in Shopping Behavior
JiWire’s research punctuates the integral role mobile devices play in consumer shopping behavior throughout the path to purchase. By evaluating consumers’ location and mobile behavior, JiWire found:
- Consumers own an average of 3.9 mobile devices, an increase of 67 percent since Q2 2011.
- Smartphones are the preferred device when preparing shopping lists, social sharing with friends and for in-store shopping assistance. Tablets are preferred for browsing recipes.
Purchase Decisions Influenced by Location and Convenience
CPG brands often question whether a coupon, convenience or price factor into their mobile audience’s purchase decisions. JiWire’s research shows that sales, location and recipes have the most impact on what consumers decide to purchase:
- Sixty-nine percent of consumers want to enhance their in-store experience by receiving information on sales, coupons or products while they shop.
- Consumers are most likely to respond to ads when they’re within five miles of a store, specifically for service or retail locations (dry cleaner, grocery store, post office, etc.).
- As a result of seeing a mobile ad, 65 percent of consumers add products to their shopping lists and 47 percent of consumers are willing to try a new product.
Public Wi-Fi Use Continues Momentum
Third quarter saw the largest increase in smartphone public Wi-Fi usage compared with last year. Other highlights include:
- Wi-Fi connections via mobile devices increased 21 percent year-over-year.
- Sixty-eight percent of all public Wi-Fi connections were represented by mobile devices, with smartphones and tablets representing 45 percent and 23 percent, respectively.
- Laptop usage continues to steadily decrease to 32 percent of overall Wi-Fi usage, a relative decrease of 27 percent year-over-year.
“CPG brands have an invaluable opportunity to engage and influence consumers at every point in their purchase path, thanks to the role mobile now plays in the grocery shopping experience,” said David Staas, president, JiWire. “Mobile provides that engagement opportunity to influence the consumer before they get to the store, and can create continuity through to purchase and measurement. It’s a great time to be a CPG brand investing in mobile.”
About JiWire’s Mobile Audience Insights Report
JiWire’s Mobile Audience Insights Report highlights recent mobile audience usage trends, offering advertisers invaluable insights that can be applied to their mobile strategies and campaigns. This quarter focused on the consumer packaged goods (CPG) vertical and launching the first Mobile Ad Effectiveness Benchmark. Research is based on data compiled from a survey of more than 1,400 randomly selected mobile users, as well as the billions of data points from JiWire’s proprietary Wi-Fi and mobile advertising platform.
JiWire is the leading location-powered mobile advertising and data platform. Used by major retailers and marquee brands across verticals, JiWire leverages proprietary historical- and present-location data to engage advertisers’ desired audience across all mobile devices at scale. Its ROI-driven approach and unique data platform leverage both Wi-Fi and mobile location big data to deliver true one-to-one mobile audience targeting at four times higher performance over traditional mobile targeting or geofencing.
With the recent launch of Location Conversion Index®, JiWire offers marketers the ability to measure the ROI of their mobile spend by providing the actual increase of in-store visits directly attributed to their mobile ad campaign.
JiWire has been recognized for its innovation with various awards, including Frost & Sullivan’s prestigious 2012 Best New Product Innovation Award for Mobile Advertising. Headquartered in San Francisco, JiWire also has offices in New York City, Chicago and Silicon Valley. Follow us on Twitter (@jiwire) and check out our Facebook page. Learn more at JiWire or Location Conversion Index®.